The mission of the Women’s Faculty Cabinet is to improve and enrich the academic and professional environments for women faculty at the University of Minnesota and to ensure that the University continues and strengthens its commitment to the success of its women faculty members.
WHAT WE DO
- We represent women faculty as an advisory board to the Provost.
- We recommend policies to the Provost on issues affecting women, gender equity, and campus life.
- We undertake research important to the working and living environment for female faculty at the University of Minnesota.
- We sponsor programs, including workshops and forums to improve equity, diversity, and overall campus life for everyone at the University of Minnesota.
The WFC was created in fall 2006. The cabinet membership aims to represent the full range of women faculty at the University, including women at all academic ranks and in a variety of colleges and disciplines. The members are appointed for three-year terms jointly by the vice provost for faculty and academic affairs and the current members of the cabinet. Eligible faculty members include both regular faculty (tenured and tenure-track) and contract or term faculty with appointment codes of 9401, 9402, and 9403. The Women's Faculty Cabinet reports to the vice provost for faculty and academic affairs. The cabinet meets monthly throughout the school year.
The Improve subcommittee is
- Continuing work on an addition to the Tenure Code to allow modified teaching duties of tenure and tenure-track faculty who bring home a baby. Talking Points on the Modified Teaching Duties for recent parents proposed for the Tenure Code
- Continuing to examine the process of salary equity
- Exploring the impact of using Student Rating of Teaching (SRTs) when evaluating female faculty teaching performance
The Enrich subcommittee is
- Addressing effective ways to restructure the work environment that allow all women to thrive;
- Considering how we can create organizational change to enhance the climate for women at UMN.
- Rachel Thomas, President, Lean In
- Jodi Sandford, Professor, Humphrey School
- Margaret Anderson Kelliher, former member of MN House of representatives
- Provost Hanson and Panel of Deans
- Pamela Skinner, Associate Professor, Vet Biomedical Science
- Tracy Twine, Associate Professor, Soil, Water, & Climate
- Amy Simon, Senior Lecturer, Carlson School of Management
- Tiffany Beckman, Assistant Professor, Medicine
- Jerica Berge, Associate Professor, Family Medicine and Community Health
- Jane Blocker, Professor, Art History
- Sauman Chu, Professor, Design, Housing and Apparel
- Meggan Craft, Assistant Professor of Veterinary Population Medicine
- Christina Ewig, Professor, Faculty Director, Center on Women, Gender, and Public Policy
- Mary Hermes, Associate Professor, Curriculum and Instruction
- Katherine Lingras, Assistant Professor, Psychiatry
- Rebecca Ropers-Huilman, Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs
- Maria Ruud, Clinical Assistant Professor, Nursing
- Emilie Snell-Rood, Associate Professor, Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
- Uyenthi Tran Myhre, Acting Director, Women’s Center
- Frances Vavrus, Professor, Organizational Leadership, Policy, and Development
- Diane Wiese-Bjornstal, Professor, School of Kinesiology
Associate Professor of Vet Biomedical Science
Senior Lecturer, Work and Organiszations Carlson School of Management
Associate Professor of Soil, Water, and Climate